Ljubljana received the prestigious Responsible Tourism Award
In London, Ljubljana Tourism received the prestigious WTM Responsible Tourism Award in the category Best for Communication in the field of responsible tourism.
The new award in a series of important international recognitions confirms the correct orientation in sustainable tourism development justifiably ranking Ljubljana among the leading sustainable destinations at the global level.
The WTM Awards for achievements in responsible tourism have been awarded since 2004 with the aim promoting the goals of the United Nations through tourism in order to improve the quality of life in the world. The jury evaluated destinations, organizations and companies with regard to their contribution to sustainable tourism and efforts to reduce negative and increase positive effects of tourism.
The expert jury examined over 500 applications and chose 12 finalists, of whom only three were from Europe, among them Ljubljana.
The jury presented Ljubljana with the award convinced by its:
• active cooperation in promoting sustainable mobility,
• organised procurement and distribution of food via Green Supply Chains (Zelene nabavne verige),
• adherence to the national green policy (the first golden certificate in the Green Scheme of Slovenian Tourism),
• use of quantitative sustainable development indicators recommended by OECD,
• effort to manage tourist flows with the aim of making living conditions for its citizens more pleasant and consequentially offer services outside the city centre and in the Central Slovenia region.
At the award ceremony the president of the jury, international expert Harold Goodwin, emphasised that jury members were impressed with the results Ljubljana achieved in a short period of time.
On behalf of Ljubljana the director of Ljubljana Tourism Petra Stušek, MA, accepted the award and said: »The award for achievements in responsible tourism is recognition of Ljubljana’s efforts in sustainable tourism development. It establishes us on the world map of sustainable destinations and commits us to the continuing attainment of ambitious goals for the improvement of the quality of living for our citizens and guests.«