We Take Care of Cultural Heritage
We pay special attention to the protection and preservation of our rich cultural heritage reaching from the prehistorical times, whereas our public institutions Museum and Galleries of Ljubljana, International Graphic Arts Centre and Ljubljana Castle take care of important parts for the cultural heritage in Ljubljana.
From 2007 to 2017, we recorded a few significant anniversaries, of which we would like to point out the following:
• 2,000 years of Emona (in 2014/2015),
• 150th anniversary of the birth of architect Max Fabiani (2015),
• 145th anniversary of the birth and 60th anniversary of the death of famous architect Jože Plečnik (2017).
A glimpse from the Fabiani Year exhibition. Photo: Nik Rovan
Architect Jože Plečnik gave Ljubljana a special character, therefore we always strive to preserve his unique heritage:
• Plečnik’s Žale, Holy Garden cemetery, has been included in the list of European Heritage sites since 2007.
• We plan to renovate the Central Market next to Plečnik Arcades to make it more user-friendly.
• We have renovated the Plečnik House in Trnovo.
• We would also like that the renovation of the Plečnik Stadium starts as soon as possible.
We cooperate with the professional commission of the Ministry of Culture in nominating the candidates for the Timeless, Humanistic Architecture of Jože Plečnik in Ljubljana and Prague for Unesco’s List of Cultural and Natural Heritage.