Volkswagen 24th Ljubljana Marathon
On Saturday and Sunday, 26 and 27 October 2019, the Volkswagen 24th Ljubljana Marathon is to take place, the biggest annual international sports event in the city.
On Saturday, children will take part in the Lumpi preschool children run, promotional and school runs for primary school children will be held as well as the school marathon for secondary school pupils and the FUN run, followed by the 10-kilometre run, half marathon and marathon on Sunday.
For the schedule of Volkswagen 24th Ljubljana Marathon please visit the following page.
Parking and free urban passenger bus service with Ljubljana Public Transport (LPP)
During the time of the Volkswagen 24th Ljubljana Marathon (Saturday and Sunday, 26 and 27 October), we provide free transport with a city bus (with all bus lines) for runners plus one companion, on presentation of a voucher, start number or accreditation. You can park for free at the P + R parking lots on Dolgi most, Barje or Stožice and take the bus to the city centre.
Especially on Sunday, 27 October 2019 (from 7.00 to 10.00 am) there will be organised round-trip buses from the parking lots P + R Stožice, Barje and Dolgi most:
- P + R from Stožice brings you to the OF Square, the entry at Stožice will be at the final station for bus number 20, for passenger going back to Stožice the entry station will be at the main bus station LPP (OF Square).
- P + R from Barje brings you to Aškerčeva Street, the entry at Barje will be at the bus station next to the P + R parking lot, for passenger going back to Barje the entry point will be on the Barjanska Street (opposite the French Embassy).
- P + R from Dolgi most (6 and 6B) brings you to Zoisova Street.
This year's marathon also as a Zero Waste event
Ljubljana, the green capital of Europe 2016, is the first European capital on its way to a waste-free society, which, with the adoption of the Zero Waste Plan, committed itself to promote the organisation of non-waste events. The Ljubljana Marathon is an example of good practice, as the Organising Committee of the Volkswagen 24th Ljubljana Marathon, with the signing of the Zero Waste Covenant, promised that this year's marathon will be a Zero Waste event.
At the event, the participants will dispose of their waste separately. Throughout the marathon route and by the refreshment areas, containers will be put up for separate collection of waste: for packing and biological waste. On the start and the finish line, blue paper containers will also be used for the collection of paper and cardboard packaging. At the start line of the marathon and half marathon, there will also be a container for excess clothing.
We have also prepared some recommendations for runners as well as viewers in other for this year's marathon to produce as little waste as possible.
We suggest that:
- Prepare a snack or snacks to bring with you in a reusable container.
- In case you cannot eat the food you brought with you or purchased at the event, we propose you offer it someone from your group or take it home.
- Drink tap water and water from public water pipes and refill your bottles or canteens with it.
- Bring your items to the event in duffel bags and reusable bags.
About the Ljubljana Marathon
Over 23,000 male and female runners take part in the biggest annual international sports event in Ljubljana. Among them almost 8 thousand young people participating in school runs, 6 thousand runners venture onto the 10-kilometre track and over 9 thousand runners take on the half marathon and marathon. Participants can take city busses free-of-charge to the start line or use free parking at all P+R parking areas. Each year we earmark 200.000 euro for the Ljubljana Marathon.
The Ljubljana Marathon is the bearer of the IAAF gold label
The Volkswagen Ljubljana Marathon received a new confirmation, a new award.
With this, the Volkswagen Ljubljana Marathon became one of the members of elite running events around the world, and by this means increasing its visibility and attracting more foreign runners and media.